An Intrusion Detection System (IDS) is a device or software application that monitors networks and system activities for malicious actions or policy violations and produces reports to a Management Station. Some systems may attempt to stop an intrusion attempt but this is neither required nor expected of a monitoring system.
With ever-increasing reliance on Internet, Intranet and Extranet access comes the parallel demand for Intrusion Detection Systems (IDS) within the defences of enterprise wide systems architecture. The result has been a plethora of new products, offering a bewildering variety of good solutions. So to cut to the chase, we start with the good questions:
- What are your specific requirements?
- What are appropriate levels of protection at given points across the network?
- Which are the key systems requiring a higher or the highest levels of protection?
- Where should Intrusion Detection Systems be placed to be most effective?
This approach ensures that the solution Cyber Crime Awareness Society designs is tailored logically to your needs and because we operate independently of vendors, you can rely on CCAS to recommend products that will work effectively, without overkill. We will provide you with impartial, practical advice on the best combination of products and the best way to use them. This advice will cover:
- Host-based products – systems that audit data from a single host to detect intrusions
- Multi-host based products – systems that audit data from multiple hosts to detect intrusions
- Network-based products – systems that combine analysis of network traffic with audit data from one or more hosts to detect intrusions
- Placement – identifying strategic points for installation of Intrusion Detection System
- Application configuration – integrating Intrusion Detection System within your existing architecture
- Monitoring and response – receiving Intrusion Detection System alerts and reacting appropriately
If unauthorised access is attempted, you’ll know about it.
If unauthorised access to systems that matter is attempted, you’ll know about it yesterday.
CCAS's skill lies in helping you put the right product in the right place to the greatest effect.